Christ The King

In 1927 Mr and Mrs Charles Farmer moved from Ealing to Bagshot Hall, in College Ride. They wrote to Bishop Peter Amigo, Bishop of Southwark who suggested Bagshot for a Mass centre. There they purchased and adapted an outbuilding to provide an oratory to serve the spiritual needs of Catholics in Bagshot, Lightwater and Windlesham.

On Sunday 30th October 1927, Canon Twomey, parish priest of Camberley blessed the Oratory and dedicated it to Christ the King. About 70 people attended the Mass on the opening day, 45 the following Sunday and 40 thence forward. The oratory seated 45 and the Farmer family provided the building and running expenses.

Between November 1927 and October 1930, Franciscans from Ascot supplied the Sunday Mass at 9.30am with Benediction after Mass one Sunday in the month.
The collection at Mass was paid into a fund to erect a new church at Bagshot. Fundraising took place with a rummage sale which raised £14. Later a fete raised £100.

At Easter 1929 Canon Twomey blessed an extension to the oratory made necessary by growing numbers.

On September 26th 1930, Bagshot received its first permanent priest, Fr Edward Gallagher who was on loan from the Irish Diocese of Achonry. He was appointed Assistant Priest to Canon Twomey and priest in charge of Bagshot.

From the 25th July 1935 we see the first Register of Baptisms appearing. Fr Steffe was now Priest in Charge.  Fr Steffe celebrated the sacrament of Baptism 100 times since the first register was taken till leaving the parish.

The current site on Guildford Road, Bagshot was purchased on 29th September 1949 for £360. The licence to build the church was granted in 1953 and Messrs J. Corbett & Sons, commenced work. The completion date was 31 March 1954 and the building was insured for £8000. Fr Cremin, the Priest in Charge of Bagshot, celebrated the last Mass at the Oratory on Sunday 28th March 1954. Later the same day, Bishop Cowderoy, Bishop of Southwark, consecrated the new church and celebrated the first Mass there.