St Tarcisius, Camberley
1869 on 19 Aug First Mass at Mr Crutchfield’s Staff Hotel in London Road said by Fr Purcell. Masses then said in house of Mr John Hughes at No5 London Road.
1870-1874 Camberley served from Aldershot.
1873 on Jan 25th. The school site bought for £120
1874 Fr McKenna appointed as first Mission Priest at Camberley
1879 Lady Southwell gave London Road site for a permanent church
1884 – Iron church erected on school site.
1888 – Priest’s House built. Later Iron church moved alongside it.
1896 School enlarged
1906 Fr Twomey appointed to Camberley
1923 on 1 July new brick church commenced. 12 Sept foundation stone laid by bishop Peter Amigo.
1924 on18 Nov new church opened.
1926 on 26 June the new church and three altars consecrated by Bishop W F Brown, bishop of Pella.
1931 in Sept the pulpit erected
1934 in June benches installed
1935 on 29 March the East stained glass windows erected.
The Memorial Church
The church was built as a memorial of the Supreme Sacrifice made during World War 1914-1918 by British Officers, many of whom received their training at the Staff College and at the RMC Sandhurst.
Designed by: Mr F A Walters F.S.A., architect of Great Ormond Street, London
Build: ‘Perpendicular Gothic’. Tower 50 feet high. Internal length 96 feet
Reredos: Beer stone from South Devon.
Cost: £13,500. Never any debt.
The High Altar was erected in memory of Mr Allan MacDonnell, his wife and son Hugh.
Canon Patrick Twomey (Fr Paddy)
Ordained 23 June 1901. Bermondsey. Died 14 April 1950 aged 74.
Canon Twomey was the first Parish Priest of Camberley and also first Chaplain to RMC Sandhurst
1904-1934 Bagshot formed part of the Catholic Mission or parish of Camberley
26 Sept 1930 Fr Edward Gallagher – assistant to Fr Twomey and Priest in Charge Bagshot
Royal Military College Sandhurst
Situated directly opposite the main gates of the College on the A30 the new church of St Tarcisius served for many years as the Catholic chapel for the College. Initially Catholic RMC cadets went to the church of St Tarcisius for Mass and for instruction. However, the Camberley parish priest was ‘relieved’ by the War Office in the late 1920s. A regular Army Chaplain was appointed in the 1930s. Canon Twomey felt the loss of the care of RMC very keenly. On average 100 RC cadets out of 850 attended St Tarcisius on a regular basis. The RMC became the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) in 1947. See: http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/history/index.htm
Priests of the Mission
Reverend John McKenna 1874-1882
Reverend Michael O’Neil 1882-1887
Reverend John O’Meara 1887-1888
Reverend John Golden 1888-1890
Reverend Columba Ellison 1890
Reverend Thomas Ford 1890-1895
Reverend Alexander McAuliffe 1895-1896
Reverend William Fitcher 1896-1897
Reverend Francis Bennett 1897-1906
Reverend Canon Patrick Twomey 1906-1950
Reverend Canon Edward Fennessy 1950-1953
Reverend Canon Walter Quinlan 1953-1963
Reverend Joseph Flanagan 1963-1973
Reverend Brendan Burke 1973-1995
Reverend Anthony Heerey 1995-1998
Reverend Michael Reynolds 1998-2007
Reverend Monsignor Richard Madders MBE 2007 -
St Tarcisius – a young martyr of the Church
For information on St Tarcisius follow the links: