Parish Planning Steering Group
TERMS OF REFERENCE
FOR THE CAMBERLEY & BAGSHOT
DEVELOPMENT STEERING GROUP 11
Aim & Purpose
The overall aim of the Steering Group will be to examine, cost and develop two alternative plans that will provide the parish with a viable future for 2020 and beyond.
AuthoritySteering Group 11 (SG11) is a sub committee of the Parish Finance Committee and will report to it. SG11 is bound by the directives of the A&B Diocesan Parish Administration Manual (PAM) also by the Code of Canon Law. It has the authority to conduct research and contact directly subject matter experts and various authorities as required. It is authorised to draw on parish funds to meet its purpose.
The Parish Priest and Parish Finance Committee (PFC) will nominate the core membership of SG11. Subject to the Parish Priest’s approval, the Group may co-opt associate members as it sees fit. It may also invite subject matter experts from outside the parish such as architects, surveyors, clergy and parishioners with experience of similar developments elsewhere etc. to assist the process.
The Steering Group will meet at the request of its Chairman as required. However, it should strive to assemble often enough to meet an agreed timeline. SG11 may meet where it wishes. The Steering Group will consult experts as needed to fulfil its purposes. A provisional budget of £15,000 has been authorised to cover costs incurred. During 2010-11 the bishop will be invited to the parish for an informal visit to view the planning process. Once plans have been finalised he will be invited again and remain for several days including a weekend. During this period a number of set times will be given for parishioners to come and view the plans, discuss alternatives with the bishop, parish priest, members of the Steering Group and others as required. Once approval for a plan has been agreed by all parties a Project Manager and Project Group will be formed to drive the plan to completion.
The Steering Group may liaise directly with:
The Diocesan Liturgical Commission through the Art & Architecture Committee (Fr Jonathan How)Surrey Heath Borough and Surrey County Planning OfficersVarious Heritage organisationsSchool AuthoritiesOther individuals and organisations who might assist.
The Parish Priest and/or Parish Chairman will liaise with the Bishop, Bishop’s House, Woking Deanery, Diocesan Clergy, Elected Representatives, Local Business, Local Christian Churches, other Faith Groups.
The SG11 will:
- research 2 alternative development plans [SEE ANNEX A].
- provide plans, sketches and costings as required.
- consider the SG1 Report in full. note the assumption of SG1 that the parish cannot maintain 3 churches in the medium to long term.
- access the risk of proceeding without the participation and involvement of the Parish of OLQH, Frimley.
- access the risk of proceeding without a clear Arundel & Brighton plan for the diocese and area. note transport issues threatening the viability of St Augustine’s School and consider within Option A the ideal solution of siting a large church on a new St Augustine’s School site with adequate parking and drop-off facilities to serve the needs of Catholics in the Surrey Heath Borough area.
- alert the PFC of any major issues affecting likely outcomes.
- routinely brief the parish priest and PFC on progress.
- determine the method by which the parish will voice an opinion on the plans formulated.
MGR R MADDERS
28 July 2010